DEN Reminder 11/26/2019 #den

The Philmont Mobile Radio Club The DEN - Tuesday 11/26/2019 - 1900 Hrs - 147.030 repeater or Allstar node 29015 (which will be linked to the repeater).

After the regular Fldigi check in with traffic I would like to talk about JS8CALL. We talked about this a while back and the latest version that is out is promised to be the last beta version before the stable release. Download and install the program before tomorrow at:

http://files.js8call.com/2.0.0/js8call-2.0.0-rc5-win32.exe

If you would like to learn more about the progrm there is a groups.io site dedicated to the support of the program. It's located at:

https://groups.io/g/js8call

JS8Call application, a derivative of WSJT-X that focuses on long-form keyboard-to-keyboard style communication similar to what you'd see in Fldigi or FSQ.

I like JS8CALL because it is as robust as FT8 but it gives you the ability of chatting with other stations. You can also send coded packets out that will prompt other stations to send back various reports. Also, I like supporting young Hams who are giving so much to the hobby.

After you install JS8CALL here's some tips on setting it up. Click File, Settings, Station. Enter your callsign, grid square, CQ Message, Reply Message (this is reply to a CQ) Station Info. Then click Radio and select None for Rig. When you use this for HF you can change this to match your rig. For PTT Method select VOX if you are using a Signalink. Then click Audio and select your USB Audio Codec for your Signalink. Other settings leave as the defaults. Click OK to save the settings. Later we will experiment with other settings.

On the main screen you will see your call at the top center with the date and time. Just like FT8 your time will have to be accurate. For Windows 10 go to your time settings and turn the automatic time update off and back on. This will get you close. The big white box on the left is your monitor window. Any stations that you copy will show up in the white window at the right. The window labeled Type your messages here is for the message you want to send and press either Send or enter. The scale at the bottom left is your receive signal strength. Adjust your Signalink RX button for 1/2 scale with a green color. The slider at the bottom right is your transmit audio strength. If it's too low your Signalink VOX won't key. If it's too high then your signal will be distorted. There is an activity bar at the bottom 0 to 15. The transmitted signal will send multiple packets for 15 seconds. The receiving station will decode during this period. You can resize any of the blocks by moving the cursor to the border and look for the double line with the double arrow. Click the left mouse button and drag the border.

To test this on the repeater I will have each station type and message in the send window and press enter or send to send the message. All stations should be able to see the message that is sent.

73, Ron NY3J